Tag: herbertson street

Blantyre Co-op Central Premises

From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017 Blantyre Co-operative Society Central Premises    Blantyre Co-operative Society’s Central premises was a former large L shaped, impressive building in Low Blantyre, which contained several Co-op shops, their Head Office and large community hall at the western side of […]

Blantyre Police Station (Glasgow Rd)

From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017 Police Station    Our Herbertson Street diversion over, lets get back to Glasgow Road. Prior to the existence of the current Police Station at Calder Street, Blantyre had an earlier police station at Stonefield.    During the mid 1870’s […]

Roberts Land, Blantyre

Roberts Land    On the western side of Herbertson Street, aside from the manse and Co-op buildings (explored shortly), the only other buildings were at Roberts Land. Contrary to what you may have read by others, there were no tenements located in Herbertson Street near its junction with Auchinraith Road.    The Roberts family came […]

Herbertson Street, Blantyre

   Researching the origins of Herbertson Street proved more difficult than first thought. Nobody has previously written how Herbertson Street acquired its name when postal addresses were allocated around 1910 and the name wasn’t in any valuation rolls of that time. Some research in the earlier 19th Century was called for and all became clear […]

1978 Central Co-op Premises

  Pictured here in 1978 on Glasgow Road are the old tenements and hall which accommodated Blantyre Central Co-op. This was a former 2-storey stone built building at the west corner of the junction of Herbertson Street and Glasgow Road. Constructed started in 1915 and it opened in February 1917. The Co-op building was built on top […]

Blantyre Co-op Central Premises

  Central Co-op Building – was a former large L shaped, impressive building in Low Blantyre, which contained several Co-op shops with the Head Office of Blantyre Co-operative Society in the building at the corner of Glasgow Road and Herbertson Street (opposite Forrest Street.) The Co-op already was located nearby further eastwards at Henderson’s Buildings […]