Tag: herbertson street

Burleigh Memorial Church (East Free)

Burleigh Memorial Church – was a former church originally known as the East Free Church. Before the church was built, the congregation met in a mission hall, which evolved over the years. The Beginnings The church has its roots back to 1876 where a small mission was set up. Requiring a venue for worship, during its first […]

1979 Herbertson Street

  Back to 1979 and Glasgow Road again, this time at its junction with the former Herbertson Street. A photo from James McGuire’s Collection showing the old co-op halls which were clearly at the end of their lives. For a time before this Blantyre & Whitehill Accies took over the upstairs part of the derelict […]

1905 Blantyre Police Force

Pictured here around 1905 by David Ritchie, a photographer from Main Street, is apparently the Blantyre Police Force. Previously unseen, the photo is shared here by Alex Bowie. Alex once took the photo to Victoria Street police station who confirmed the location in the picture wasn’t the current Police Station in Blantyre. However, the photo […]