Fantastic photo of Bothwell old ruins and former Bothwell House. Dating from around 1910, this photo celebrates “old and new”, although little did anybody know that the grand house would only last just over another decade, before being demolished in the 1920’s. The River Clyde (and Blantyre) is just out the picture to the right.
Category: Blantyre Buildings
OK, so this little cottage was slightly outwith Blantyre but is still worth featuring here as it was right on the boundary. It sat near Bothwell Castle, directly opposite Blantyreferme, just up from Blantyre Priory. It was right on the banks of the River Clyde, although today is now woodland. On the Bothwell side, this […]
In April 1980, Spook Erections, the open air market company in Blantyre bizarrely submitted planning application to paint the ends of several council homes with murals. The proposal directed at council homes on Glasgow Road near Hastie’s Farm, was point blankly rejected very quickly by the council. The company insisted that painting the sides of […]
This postcard dates from around the 1910s and of course shows the ruins of Bothwell Castle. Pictured is the interior and at a time before the castle was opened to the public as a tourist attraction. Nearby at this time was former Bothwell House, which would have had a fine view over to these ruins. […]
In early 1980, following the recent death of Mr William Botterill, the Botterils business took on a new partner. The Business partners at the time were Jim Botterill senior, his wife Vera and son Jim. An associate parter in Mr Malcolm Watson was to become area manager. Malcom had joined Botterills in 1970 as a […]
Jim Rochead is pictured at The Garden Fete at Crossbasket 1950s. The large tent providing some rain protection. I didn’t realise Crossbasket had been whitewashed in the mid 20th Century, previously thinking the render had always been grey. The render was an important part of waterproofing the building, protecting the rough stonework from the elements. […]
On Saturday 17th December 1921, the death took place of Mr Forrest, one of Blantyre’s oldest natives in the Barnill district. He was born in Blantyre seventynine years earlier in 1842. He had been extremely happy in relating the early life in Blantyre, and often recalled his experiences at a ” gie wee schule ” […]