Category: Blantyre News

1980 Building Asda Carpark

By Summer 1980, the ASDA store and the western side of the shopping centre had been almost built. With earlier acquisition of many houses on the lower part of Craig Street taken by compulsory purchase order then subsequently demolished, there was a huge expanse in the form of a open square carved into the landscape. […]

Gala Day Mass Gathering

The children’s annual gala day in connection with Blantyre Co-operative Society was held on Saturday 24th June 1916. The children from Stonefield assembled at the Society’s premises on Glasgow Road, where they were marshalled in processional order, and headed by Blantyre Silver Band and the Salvation Army Band, marched via Auchinraith to the Society’s premises […]