Tag: emporium

Clydesdale Bank, Blantyre

   By 1981, the Emporium was lying vacant and derelict, awaiting another use. It attracted the interest of the Clydesdale Bank in the early 1980’s, who were to move from their location further westwards to this more modern building. For nearly 4 decades, the Clydesdale Bank became a well-known feature in Blantyre at this location […]

Co-op Emporium, Blantyre

   After being vacant for over 2 decades, the space between Stonefield Tavern and the Co-op tall building was built upon again when the Blantyre Co-operative Society expanded their existing premises to the immediate west.    By 1954, the Co-op had acquired the vacant ground formerly the site of John Coats house and bake-house and […]