Tag: volunteer arms

Walkers Buildings, Glasgow Road

     ‘Walkers Buildings’ were named after constructor James Walker, who was one half of a former joinery partnership named “J&J Walker (based in Larkfield).” James Walker born in Motherwell in 1843 lived at the bottom of Stonefield Road, the neighbour of the Craig family and was a joiner by trade.     Around 1877, the […]

Volunteer Arms, Blantyre Pub

From the illustrated social history book… “Blantyre – Glasgow Road, The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016 – 2018. Volunteer Arms (Cross Guns)    ‘The Volunteer Arms’ is a former late 19th Century, early 20th Century public house on the south side of Glasgow Road, located in the western part of Walker’s Buildings, a […]