Blantyre Project reader Martin, sent in this photo. Pictured is his mother Eleanor Rodgers at the back of Elm Street, Blantyre. Martin has suggested the photo may be 1940’s. Looking closely it would appear the houses are being built without windows or doors, perhaps a reason the photo was taken?
Tag: elm street
More previously unseen photos online, thanks to George Hay. After many years of meeting in the old Nazarene Church (hut), a new church, on Elm Street, was built for the congregation there and officially opened by Mrs. Janet Mackie and dedicated on Sunday 24th October 1982. These photos show the church shortly after in […]
This brilliant old photo shows the former miner’s homes at Merrys Rows, Low Blantyre. These were located where Elm Street is today. Their proximity to Auchinraith Pit made them particularly susceptible to subsidence and as you can see, there are massive cracks, in what was generally considered housing of a poor standard. Makes me wonder […]
In September 1979, three streets in the centre of Blantyre were blocked off (for their own good, it was said!) Hamilton District Council had decided in August that year they would block off the end of Elm Street, Logan Street and Greenside Street because of redevelopment in the area. The plan was to prevent traffic […]
In Spring 1979, the Nazarene Church (the first one) on Elm Street was constantly broken into and 2 organs were stolen. Right through that month, a systematic campaign of vandalism by youths saw the church decline rapidly. By the end of March 1979, an announcement was made that the Church was to be demolished. […]
This view of Elm Street looks north towards Glasgow Road and was captured on camera in 1978 by the late Neil Gordon, just prior to the extensive redevelopment To the right is Kidd’s Buildings, in front are the tenements on the north side of Glasgow Road and to the left is the former Stonefield Parish […]
Nazarene Church The Church of the Nazarene is an evangelical Christian denomination that emerged from the 19th-century Holiness movement in North America around 1907. The Holiness work in Blantyre began in March 1907, the following year the American movement commenced. It was originally called the ‘Blantyre Holiness Mission’ but changed name in 1910 […]