Pictured here in mid 1970s, is the railway bridge at Glasgow Road being demolished. No longer in service or required, the bridge connected Hamilton West Station to High Blantyre Station and was situated at the corner of Whistleberry Road and Glasgow Road. It was being removed to make way for the new East Kilbride Expressway.
The railway had opened in 1882 with a first bridge in this location (which was part of Auchinraith Junction), although the girders were modernised and replaced in the 1930’s. An adjacent bridge to this was close by at Craighead junction before both lines converged into one leading to High Blantyre.
Today, this site is a modern roundabout that carries a slipway on to the A725 with adjacent shops at B&M, Lidl and Farmfoods.