|Constructed: >1907<1909||Other Names: None|
|Constructor: W&J Bowie||Original Address: 319 Glasgow Rd|
|House Type: Semi detached||Current Address: 347 Glasgow Rd|
Brief Summary: ‘Dalveen’ is the western side of the semi-detached 1.5 storey stone residence, the other side being ‘Daldorch’. Dalveen, originally numbered 319 is now 347 Glasgow Road. The story of ownership is identical to Daldorch’s up until the 1940’s. Constructed around 1908 by Williamson and Jane Bowie, their second property around this location, it served the purpose for renting out to others. An early tenant until the late 1920’s was William Inglis, a miner.
By 1930, John Bowie a fruit merchant was the owner and lived there right up until World War Two. The large glass houses and vegetable and flower plots to the rear of the house would have kept him and the rest of the Bowie family very busy. There are stories in Blantyre of how the Bowie family would go up to the high elevated fields above Blantyre in Winter and collect moss to make wreaths and garlands.
Today, Dalveen is a private home and recognition should be given here for its well-kept garden and good maintenance. The house has green ivy climbing up the stone walls around the bay window, hedges are well trimmed with neat, white railings above the little wall at the front. Some of the Ivy has been cut back during the last decade. Altogether, it looks a beautiful place to live.
From the book “Blantyre Glasgow Road – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2018