Lets talk about the little piece of green land at the corner of Glasgow Road and Logan Street near the petrol Station. Many people will remember the old post office that used to stand there, opening in 1953, demolished in the early 1980s.
Before that was Turner’s Building and at that very corner a shop called Browns, which is known to exist from 1910 onwards.
However, EVEN before that time, Brown’s shop was known in the 1880’s and 1890’s from the time it was built, as The Torrance Grocery.
John.M. Torrance was still the grocer as late as 1903. Across Glasgow Road was McAlpine’s building. The Torrance Grocery would have looked across to the Priory Public House at the other side of Logan Street.
This old photo actually shows the former sign on the corner of Logan Street from that era around 1900.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016