The name ‘Crossbasket’ is in relation to the Tower, the Estate and tied lands. The name ‘Basket’, being a sub part of these lands. The name “Crossbasket” likely took it name from ‘Basket Cross’, an ancient stone cross which once stood a small distance from the tower. It was often spelled “Korsbas”, or “Korsebasket”. Near the cross was a sacred font with a long inscription, but was so old and worn that even, according to David Ure in 1793 it could not have been read for that previous century. In the 1740’s, an unknown religious fanatic destroyed the cross and font seeing them as religious symbols. This act was condemned by the Parish Church, which was then located in High Blantyre kirkyard. It is alleged that the person who destroyed them, never did well again.
Although once well marked, today nothing remains except a few unremarkable stones, moss grown and covered in Summer. How wonderful a project it would be for a stone cross to be replaced at that location. The Cross stood at the bottom of a woodland slope, beyond the stone wall and Lees Burn, northwards of Stoneymeadow Road and directly across from the current Allers Farm. The exact site of the cross is marked on the 1859 map of the area.
Pictured above is a peculiar stone found near the site. The Kelvingrove Museum did not know what to make of it, although it is not believed to be the fabled cross. However, the stone is worked and may have been part of a nearby structure or something connected.
Other crosses were anciently erected throughout the Parish, near each being a cairn composed of a heap of stones used as a resting place for coffins being conveyed by funeral parties to Kilbride. These crosses and resting places gave rise to a number of well-known place-names in East Kilbride Parish, such as Wardlaw-cross, Crossland, Crosshill, Cross of Hairmyers, Whitecross and Crosshouse. All churches at one time had a right of sanctuary, and Kilbride appears to have had one of considerable area, the boundaries of which were marked by these crosses which were known as ‘girth’ or ‘sanctuary crosses.’
Origins of Basket
The lands of Basket probably came from the words “Bas-Gait” – meaning Low Road. This low road is actually still in existence some 100 yards north of the current Stoneymeadow Road or Turnpike Road.
A suggestion for Crossbasket name, comes also from the Welsh words “Cros-Pascaid”. Pascent was a Welsh saint and it is his cross that is said to have been near the Tower. Less likely, the cross may also have been a connection or reference to the point where all three of these ancient Parishes met or crossed.
(c) “History of Crossbasket Castle featuring Tales of Crossbasket” by Paul D Veverka