Two beautiful photos of Station Road. The first from 1932 shows the lower part of Station Road, heading down to the David Livingstone Centre. Farm Road branches off on the left where the cart is standing. Nowadays, this leads to a large post war modern housing estate.
In the second picture taken just a few years later in 1937, the modern council houses (2 up and 2 down on the right, next to the Public park) had just been built.
On the left, some girls head to St Josephs school, although the shadows suggest it is later in the day, so perhaps lunchtime? The scene is still easily recognisable today and is one of the few places in Blantyre that hasn’t changed too much.
Station Road leads from Glasgow Road, down beyond the railway and on to David Livingstone Centre and the River Clyde at Blantyre Works Village. The Station Road was named after the Low Blantyre Railway Station, which opened on 17th September 1849.