Let’s hop over the Blantyre Parish Boundary again into Cambuslang Parish with a photo that may be a familiar sight. These are Loanend Cottages on the Flemington Road. The Robb’s Flemington Farm pictured in the background. Pictured from the top of the former Bing, upon first glance there is something odd you’ll notice about these […]
Well known man, Mr William Robb, of Flemington Farm, Cambuslang, died on the wartime morning of Sunday, 20th August 1916. He had been in Ireland on business only a fortnight before his death. A native of Hamilton, he started his business there, but in 1882 had come to Flemington Farm, just beyond Loanend Cottages, where […]
Whilst pushing a rake of empty hutches up an incline in the Loanend Colliery in 1926, William Dowdles, James Mulvaney and Thos. Wales were trapped by a runaway train of full hutches which came hurtling down on them. Dowdles, who lived at 6 Carfin Street, Dixon’s Row, Blantyre, was instantly killed, while Mulvaney, who […]
Although slightly outwith Blantyre, the community at Loanend still feel connected to Blantyre itself, perhaps even more so than Cambuslang. Two great photos shared here by Alex Rochead, who made use of the fantastic weather in May 2016 to capture Loanend and Flemington on a sunny day. The 10th May 2016 was an important […]
A sad disappointment was in store for over 200 miners from Blantyre, Cambuslang, and Bridgeton, when they turned up at Loanend (Loanend) Colliery, near Cambuslang, and learned that the pit was closing down until further notice on 26th April 1930. Many of these men had been employed there for some years and had a […]
From the vantage point of the Loanend former colliery, taken from the bing, this 1950’s photo looks towards Loanend Cottages and Flemington. The cottages at this time were still used as homes, and this is an era before they became cowsheds. (or again later to become the beautiful homes they are now!). In the […]
A great photo next from Loanend looking back towards Blantyre. Out of the picture to the right is Malcolmwood Farm. The photo, dating from the 1950s was captured from the elevated point at the Loanend bing, the former colliery. The tree line in the distance is Bardykes Road, the bing most likely, Larkfield.
I think this photo dates from the 1950’s. Pictured are Loanend Cottages, the terraced miner’s homes which would later become cow sheds, then back to beautifully renovated and extended homes. Were eastwards of Malcolmwood Farm, westwards of Flemington in this photo. Picket fences, well kept gardens and the houses all in good repair. It only […]