On Saturday 27th August 1910, the members of the Blantyre Parish Church Choir and Bible Class held their annual picnic at Crossbasket House, High Blantyre, the premises kindly granted for the occasion by owner, Mr George Neilson.
There was a good turnout of members and friends. Upwards of thirty people sat down to tea, which was provided by the ladies of the group. Rev. Mr Turnbull presided and was accompanied by Miss Turnbull. After tea, the party were conducted through the grounds and gardens by Mr Murray, one of the gardeners. The gardens were greatly admired by all.
Games were afterwards commenced and kept up with most for a considerable time. An adjournment was then made to the hall, where a service of fruit was offered. A short musical programme was then entered into with several ladies and gentlemen participating. The picnic was a most enjoyable one, the weather being pretty fair. Thanks were accorded to Mr Bell, the head gardener, and to Mr Murray for the excellent arrangements made for the comfort of the visitors, and also to Miss Turnbull and the ladies for the splendid tea which they had provided. The proceedings were brought to close by the signing of ‘Auld Lang Syne.’
Crossbasket House is pictured a few years earlier around 1905, but in the same time as Mr Neilson’s ownership. The building was renamed in the last decade, following an extensive renovation as ‘Crossbasket Castle’.