At the end of April 1914, a well known Blantyre resident was set to say farewell before heading off to a more salubrious residence and life in Strathaven.
Before she left though, Mrs Janet MacGregor wanted to say thanks to some friends who she knew she would miss. On Thursday evening, 23rd April 1914, Mrs MacGregor invited fellow members of the Mothers Union in Blantyre to her home at Old Place, High Blantyre.
This was no ordinary meeting, but instead was entirely in a social capacity at her own home where the ladies spent a very delightful evening. One of the first things to happen was a toast. Immediately afterwards, one of the Mothers Union members, Mrs Currie, in a neat little speech, asked their hostess to accept of a small reminder from the members before she left Blantyre.
The presentation took the form of silver cheese dish suitably inscribed. Mrs MacGregor very feelingly gave her thanks by reply. After enjoying a few songs and gramophone selections, the company reluctantly made their ways home shortly before eleven, every one of the women being sorry to part with such a friend as the hostess had proved herself to be.
Mothers’ Union (MU) was founded in 1876 in Britain by Mary Sumner. She wanted to create an organisation for women that brought together rich and poor to build a network that would support mothers of all kinds as they brought up their children in Christian faith. By 1909, The Mothers’ Union had become the largest voluntary women’s organisation in Britain. The organisation still exists today spread over many countries around the world.
Janet MacGregor had rented Old Place from the Craig family for some years prior to 1914, renting for around £32/year. Old Place is pictured here in 2008.