This beautiful painting observed from the Blantyre side of the River Clyde shows the ruins of Bothwell Castle during 1768.
Painted by Paul Sandby, it shows one of the former river crossings, this one near to the Priory. A family stand in the foreground, the woman holding a large fishing net, perhaps to catch a few of the abundant salmon known to frequent the river.
At the time, Blantyre’s population, was only round 500 people, a time before the Blantyre Mills.
The black and white drawings is loosely based on Paul Sandby’s painting, with some aspects such as the boat and figures on it identical.