Although the houses at Rowan Place do not have Glasgow Road addresses, they require to be included in this book due to having frontage along a proportion of Glasgow Road. Situated across from the entrance to the ‘Dandy’, these 12 single storey houses were constructed especially with pensioners in mind.
Built in the late 1950’s as part of the ‘Orlits’ housing scheme (homes behind and to the south at Fernslea Avenue), they are set back off Glasgow Road, offering good parking, single storey, unlike the other houses in the estate behind.
During research of this book, it was learned that they were cruelly nicknamed originally as ‘Death Row’, a name that thankfully does not exist in discussion anymore. Rowan Place looks to be well maintained with good sizeable gardens to the rear and have served families well over the last 60 years. The name ‘Rowan’ continues the woodland theme of Fernslea.
Before the construction of Rowan Place, this plot had been the open fields of Wheatlandhead Farm, which in this particular plot, had stretched right down to Glasgow Road itself. The farm was also known as “Russell’s.”
Contrary to writing by others, Glasgow Road west of this point was not all farmfields in the 20th Century. Indeed it was very much built upon, primarily for residential purposes. The last 130 years west of this point has seen some impressive houses being built. Let’s have a quick look at some of them next…
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,