Coats Buildings

 

1910 Zoned Coats

1910 Coats Buildings on Glasgow Road

   Exclusively researched for the first time is the next building to the west. ‘Coats Buildings’ was a mid to late 19th Century census name for several buildings gathered in the same area on the south of Glasgow Road directly opposite the junction of Station Road.

   The small populated centre highlighted is thought to be amongst the oldest known buildings along the whole of the Glasgow to Hamilton Road. They comprised of 8 tenement homes (at the corner of what would become Priory Street), included the Stonefield Tavern building, an adjacent separate 2 storey house and adjoining shop to the west with later additions to the rear.

   When first built, they were the only buildings on Glasgow Road between Stonefield Farm and Stonefield Road, sitting in isolation in farmlands. This website explores each in turn.

From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017

Leave a Reply

Blantyre Project - Official History Archives South Lanarkshire © 2019 Frontier Theme
%d bloggers like this: