Stonefield Parish Church Manse was a sizeable house built between 1898 and 1905 located at the top of Herbertson Street near the corner of Auchinraith Road and first occupied by Rev Thomas Pryde. It had address 34 Auchinraith Road.
In 1905, the manse had a rateable value of £30. The former stone built manse was a moderate detached sized home, a storey and a half. The door was accessed up a couple of steps and was positioned centrally below a small decorative arch window. Either side on the ground floor were large windows, above them exposed timber rafters along the soffit line. On the upper floor, to the left was a large dormer window and to the right another window, set into a pitched upturned V shape, finished with decorative trefoil timber design. To the north of the manse was land belonging to the Roberts family.
The manse position across Herbertson Street from the UFC Burleigh Church may have confused some people, even more so as the Burleigh Church Manse was further along Glasgow Road at the corner of Church Street. The Stonefield Parish Church manse looked out at the back into a field, then beyond to Merry’s Rows. Around the manse was a sizeable garden.
In 1944, Rev Duncan Finlayson came to Blantyre and occupied the manse. It is no longer there today, demolished in 1978 when Duncan left Blantyre and following the fire which consumed the Stonefield Parish Church.
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,: