Like all the southern side streets leading off Glasgow Road, Church Street had its humble beginnings as a field boundary between two fields, in particular at this location, on the former farm of Stonefield. The boundary became a track in the 19th Century and the track would towards the turn of the 20th Century, be renamed Church Street, after the Stonefield Parish Church.
Like Jackson Street further to the east, Church Street was to be a dead-end street, a cul-de-sac if you like, just as it is today. During the 19th Century the street ran only the length of the church. However, by 1910, decent quality stone homes, mostly semidetached had been built on either side of the street, most of which still exist today. These homes were initially owned by Rev John Burleigh and the Batters family. In 1912, a motor house and store was built on the far south western side, the constructor being William Adam of High Blantyre.
In 1970, Mr. Barrett started a small car sills repair workshop at Craig Street but had to move in 1973 when plans of redevelopment began to unfold. He moved to this former motor house at 19 Church Street taking over from the Baxter’s Bluebird Buses. Barrett manufactured car body sills, known as R.G.Barrett&Co (Auto Sills).
The history of Church Street is explored in other Blantyre Project books. Whilst the distance from Church Street to Logan Street may seem relatively short, a lot has happened in this section of Glasgow Road and we begin by looking at the early beginnings of these properties.
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,: