On the evening of 14th September 1967 residents were alarmed to see smoke coming from the letterbox of the mail pillarbox at the bottom of Stonefield Road. Police and the fire brigade were called but could do nothing until they contacted postal workers at the post office.
A local postman opened the box, which by now had flames pouring out the sides and thick smoke billowing from the top. Mail was alight, much of it destroyed, and telling, a piece of smouldering charred wood and spent matches still inside. The damaged letter were removed to the post office to see what could be salvaged and police began an enquiry looking for the vandals.
That postbox is still in the same position today.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
On Blantyre Project Social media, used with permission here, strictly not for use on any other website or publication: