On Thursday 8th February 1900 the members of the United Enginekeepers’ Association held their annual supper and dance in the Masonic Hall, Main Street, High Blantyre.
According to Google, the Association was a collective group of engineering or mechanically minded enthusiasts which set out their own investment programme though the expanded parent company throughout Scotland and of course this was simply the Blantyre branch, one of many in Scotland.
The event is described in local newspaper as being very enjoyable function and a brilliant success. “Mrs. J. B Struthers purveyed in her usual first class style, the tables all beautifully decorated with flowers. Mr. J Stewart occupied the chair in a very efficient manner ably assisted by Mr.A Pringle as croupier. After an able and appropriate address from the chair, the toast of “The Queen” (Victoria) was loyally responded to, “The Army and Navy” replied Mr. Eadie. Further toasts were given to the Society, the ladies, the chairman and croupier. Throughout the evening Miss Bailie, Messrs Eadie, Calderwood, McCall and Robertson entertained the company with vocal music. The tables were then cleared and dancing commenced to the strains of Mr. Frame’s excellent music. Mr Linn attended to duties as the MC. Mr and Mrs Stewart led off the dancing which was kept up heartily in that High Blantyre hall by both old and young until 2am, when the company broke up after singing “Auld land syne” all positive that it had been the party event of the season.”
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul D Veverka © 2016