From the Motherwell Times 20th November 1931.
“At a recent meeting of the Teaching and Staffing Committee the County Council, it was decided that the name of Mr P Hyland, Shotts R.C. School, is be recommended to the Education Committee for the vacancy in headmaster at Blantyre St Joseph’s School.
This appointment will ratified in due course the first Council meeting, and Hyland will in all likelihood commence his raw duties after the Christmas vacation.
Born at Glenboig, Hyland was educated at Coatbridge and St Mary’s College. Hammersmith. In 1904 he received his first teaching appointment at Cadzow. He became well-known figure in our town during the following fifteen years, when was assistant under the late Mr Bonnet at Motherwell R.C H.G. School, leaving this position become headmaster at Shotts, which position he has held since 1990.
Mr Hyland made many friends during his work in Motherwell, and is very popular figure up Jerviston way where he resides. In taking up his duties he is assured of the very best wishes of his townsmen.”
St Joseph’s School was recently demolished in January 2016.