Railways throughout Lanarkshire changed quite dramatically over 4 short years. These two maps compare Blantyre and the surrounding areas between 1877 on the first map and 1881 on the second. It was a time of massive population growth and the railways provided better transport links, not only for a commute, but more impotently at the time, to get the newly found coal out and away!
Of particular note is the construction of the Greenhall Viaduct (officially Letterick Viaduct). Linking Blantyre to East Kilbride. Also various railway spurs at Low Blantyre. Thanks to Gordon Cook for providing access to these maps.