Evidence of habitation in Blantyre can be traced back as far as 2000 BC. As well as Campknow, the hillside fort, urns and grave goods have been found not only in Archers Croft, High Blantyre, but also in Coatshill area, as recently as 1939. In April that year a farmer at Coatshill Farm (near where David Livingstone Primary School is today) accidentally hit what he thought was a boulder, but up instead came a stone kist. The stone coffin, contained bones which turned to dust upon touch, but incredibly, the artefacts were intact.
Pictured here in 1939 is the stone urn dating from Bronze age, (2000 years before Christ himself!)
The location of the find was in what is now the rear garden of 11 Bellairs Place, Coatshill. The urn was completely renovated and is held at Kelvingrove Museum, Glasgow.