1899 Failed Inspection

Back in time now, 124 years ago. In April 1899, Blantyre flesher (butcher) Joseph Scott found himself in trouble with the law and the sanitary inspector of the County.

Before Sheriff Davidson at Hamilton Sheriff Court, Joseph was charged with having a diseased carcus in his slaughter house at Springwell, Blantyre. The animal in question had been prepared for food , ready to be sold. The prosecutor then learned that the animal had died being driven back from Glasgow to Blantyre. It was very emaciated and when dissected was found to have been infected with tuberculosis.

The Sheriff upon hearing of the state of the meat, said it was about the worst description he could imagine. Joseph Scott imposed a penalty of £25 with costs. (a sum of £2,500 in todays money).

In all fairness, I found no other misdemeanour before or afterwards, so have to assume this was an isolated incident in such times of little or no refrigeration. I can’t help feel that the very public nature of the report in the newspaper at the time would likely have affected business.

Illustrated by AI.

Leave a Reply