On Saturday 4th April, 1903, the schoolhouse at Auchentibber reopened to pupils. It had supposed to be open on Thursday 2nd April but the ceremony was delayed for a couple of days. Prior to this, the former Roman Catholic School had been closed for a time. Bought jointly by Hamilton Parish and Blantyre School Boards in Summer 1902, the school was re-opened in Springtime 1903 as a joint denomination school.
The decision may have been largely influenced by the need for more classrooms at both Stonefield Parish and High Blantyre Schools and after discovery that year of dampness in the relatively new Auchinraith School. More classroom space was needed.
The building cost £160, about £20,000 in today’s money and perhaps reflecting the condition the school was in at the time. In 1903, it was completely refitted out inside with considerable alterations and additions made to it, the building work alone costing a further £200. By the time of the re-opening, the school had space for 150 scholars and was to be used entirely as an “infant school”, at the time a term deemed for pupils 5 years to 8 years old.
Mr Neil Douglas of Blantyre School Board, who lived nearby presided over the opening. Amongst those present was minister Rev TMB Paterson, Messrs D.C Barr and James Shaw, Dr Grant, Rev Campbell and John Menzies, Alex Davidson and William Lamont of Blantyre School Board.
The Chairman in a happy speech reviewed the negotiations which had taken place between the Hamilton and Blantyre Boards in connection with purchasing the school from Rev Father Hackett. Tea and cake were served by a committee of ladies, chiefly the partners of the men attending.
The school was later in 1910 transferred solely to Blantyre School Board.