Hustings in Hamilton, 1831

On Thursday, 12th May 1831, a grand procession took place in Hamilton. At an early hour, the various bodies from the surrounding villages began to arrive in Hamilton, preceded by bands of music, and with appropriate military flags and devices.

The place of meeting was the South Haugh (Strathclyde Park area now?), the property of his Grace the Duke of Hamilton, where hustings were erected. The towns were ranged in the following order: Hamilton, Airdrie, Bothwell, Kilbride, Blantyre, Strathaven, Glassford, Dalziel, Stonehouse, Dalserf, Cambusnethan, Shotts, Wishawton and Cambuslang. After having given 3 time 3 cheers for the King, 3 times 3 cheers for the freemen of England, and 3 times 3 cheers for the Duke of Hamilton, the consistent Advocate of Reform, the procession began to move, and proceeded through some of the most public streets in the town (Hamilton). They afterwards met at the hustings, and were addressed by several gentlemen, among whom were John Maxwell Esq, and the Hon D Halliburton.

There were about 3,000 in this procession, and upwards of 10,000 crowded in the green. The general appearance was beautiful, from the clean and neat appearance of the people, the fineness of the day, the admirable order which was maintained and the splendour of the insignia. The order of processions was agreed to by the Committee and admirably carried into effect by Capt McLean of the Lanark Militia.

What a sight this procession must have been!

Source: The Scotsman, Saturday 14th May 1831, page 3

Leave a Reply