A photo from the turn of the 20th Century, showing Barnhill, Blantyre.
Putting this in context, it looks northwards towards the cottage hospital. To the right out the photo would be the Barnhill Tavern (the Hoolets). The only building still standing is the whitewashed building to the right, jutting out into the road at an oblique angle. Bardykes Cottage, known to be the oldest house still habited in Blantyre, reputedly from 1536.
The tenements poised at the top of the Calder slopes are now demolished, the space now the Hoolets Carpark. Those wee tots at the left hand side look about 2 or 3 years old. Not a road for tots by any means now!