This photo from a newspaper is nearly 100 years old. Taken in the mid 1920’s, it shows the back of Shuttle Row, at the Village, Blantyre before it became a museum. The building was in “a bad way” by then. This housing had already been condemned and the foresight to turn it into the David Livingstone Centre around the time of this photo, is certainly what saved it.
This is the side of the building which faces out towards the River Clyde, those slopes now quite overgrown following the planting of trees in 1929.