With WW1 “hotting” up in 1916 and an influx of casualties, many properties in Britain became hospitals.
In Blantyre, one particular Mansion House became a Hospital.
On Saturday 9th October 16, Archibald Russell Limited, the well known firm of coal owners with large interests both in Lanarkshire and the Bannockburn district of Stirlingshire, announced that they had placed at the disposal of the Scottish Branch of the British Red Cross Society, their beautiful residence of Caldergrove situated at Hallside, near Blantyre, for use as an auxiliary hospital.
It was noted that “The mansion-house has been thoroughly put in order and furnished an hospital. Sir Hector Cameron, Glasgow, the Commissioner for the Western District, has, it is understood, visited Caldergrove, and has expressed admiration for its suitable appointments and attractive surroundings. The new hospital is authorised to accommodate thirty beds.”
Pictured around that very time is the medical staffing compliment outside Caldergove House.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2019