This fantastic photo from a small publication in 1937 or 1938 shows of course Blantyre Priory with Bothwell Castle in the background. Unlike today , the Priory was not located within dense woodland, but was still partially out on the open, beside the fields which are now Priory Playing fields. The woodland however, has fairly sprung up during the last 70 or 80 years and such the ruin is now within woodland.
Even in the 1930s, under the majestic ruin of Bothwell Castle, high above the banks of the Clyde, Blantyre Priory looked much more intact than it does today. The old coal bing and various earthworks have encroached the whole area.
This is Blantyre’s oldest building, from the 13th Century, pre dating any known existing local house, farm or castle.