Whats this in the Garden?



Digging in my garden last year, I found this strange object. Does anybody know what it is? It does look like its some sort of water collection vessel, with a hole drilled in the sandstone block to ’empty it’. I have no idea how old it is or what it was used for. It could be quite old given my house was built in the 1730’s. My best guess is that it was located at the corner of a building to collection water from a downpipe or something like that?! Any thoughts?


Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said:

Jim Cochrane Sandstone water trough
Catherine Devlin With the ridge on the rim for water to flow over, i would say possible part of an old water feature, holes being for pump or similar

Sandy Wilkie My guess is a corner rain-water-gathering horse water trough.

Leave a Reply