During the mid 1930’s, the County Council throughout Lanarkshire was on a huge drive to clear old, condemned or poor quality slums from towns and villages. Blantyre saw hundreds of homes demolished in the early to mid 1930’s no longer fit for purpose. These included homes at the Village, Springwells and nearby to Glasgow Road, the northern streets of Dixon’s Raws. Whole streets at Stonefield were demolished to the ground including Carfin Street, Govan Street, Miller Street and Burnside Street. Of course this created a huge demand for new housing and the council took the opportunity to ensure homes were well built, spacious and with indoor toilets.
When Messers Andrew Wright & Sons commenced construction of the new council homes 1935, the council already had a list of people who would accommodate them. The houses were ready in Springtime 1936, the first tenants moving in then, given addresses 223a, 223b and 223c Glasgow Rd.
Constructed in three large double storey blocks, homes were built of brick with slate roofs. The houses are stepped and terraced with front doors facing out to the A724 (Glasgow Road) offering access to each of 12 properties. They are constructed well and have accommodated hundreds of families, including generations of the same for over 80 years. None of these families ever saw trams going by their windows, for trams had ceased running by the time these homes were constructed. These are homes for “a modern age.”
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,: