From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road South – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
The Smiddy Inn
The Smiddy Inn, (later Smiddy bar) was a former Public House on Glasgow Road at the corner of Elm Street. It transformed from Sprott’s Public House and became the Smiddy Inn in 1900 although had been a public house since 1880.
The name was given by owner William Imrie for an unknown reason, for there were no blacksmiths anywhere near this location prior to this or at that time. It may simply have been a “working mans” name he liked, hoping to attract the nearby clientele of miners at adjacent Merry’s Rows. (later Elm Street)
The Smiddy Inn was run by William Imrie Junior, who did not live in the buildings, but simply worked there. The public house had address 135 and 137 Glasgow Road and was popular with miners for its wide variety of ales. At the time the Smiddy Inn took up much of the western part of Sprott’s Buildings and had a distinctive small single storey store on the western side, which may once have been used for offsales, and would later to become a ‘snug’. After his death in 1922, the Smiddy Inn would pass to his widow, Mrs Mary Ann Imrie (nee Smith) then later to another owner Mrs. N Wilson.
It was a real working mans pub. Sawdust on the floor, pipes and had a darts team.
In latter post WW2 years supporters buses for the football left from this location in Blantyre, right outside the pub. Following acquisition of the Smiddy Inn by Vincey McGuire in the mid 20th Century, it would be renamed “The Smiddy Bar” , a name which existed up until its demolition in 1979.
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,: