Blantyre boy Gil Farid (aged 6) had a miraculous escape in September 1978, after surviving electrocution from overhead lines!
Gil was lucky to be alive after being hit with a 25,000 v shock off the overhead lines above Low Blantyre Station. Gil, along with friends, had picked up a 12 foot piece of wire from waste ground and carried it down the Station Road.
However, the wire touched the overhead lines and he was thrown off his feet with the shock blast that followed. Horrified adults ran to the scene and after making the wire safe, rushed Gil to Hospital, where thankfully he only had minor burns.
Do you know Gil?
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
Featuring Blantyre Project Social Media with permission. Strictly not for use by others on or offline, our visitors said,