The above illustration on this page shows by comparison to the previous image, just how much Springwell changed and grew in only 4 decades. The 1898 map primarily shows expansion of the railways with the Auchinraith railway junction and Craighead junction noticeably crossing over the former Springwell Farm fields. The Auchinraith rail junction forced a realignment of Whistleberry Road junction at the Glasgow to Hamilton Road. The farm is gone at the top left but in its place is a plethora of new businesses and homes, the start of massive development of this main road into Blantyre.
However, meantime our journey continues with the exploration of the south side of the new hamlet of Springwell which had grown in population by many hundreds of people in that short space of time. More tomorrow….
From the book, “Blantyre Glasgow Road – The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017