James was born in Cambuslang on 6th September 1873 the son of John and Jane Millar.
For the early part of his life lived in Cambuslang’s Main Street with his parents and many siblings including aunts and cousins at the same house.
By 1891, at the age of 17, he was engaged in education as an elementary teacher. His father John passed away in 1899 at the age of 56.
By 1901, he was employed as a School Anchor news correspdondent for the Greater Glasgow Area.
It seems likely he came to Blantyre between 1920 and 1925, for according to the 1925 Valuation roll; James was occupying the Schoolhouse at 1 Victoria Street, adjacent to Stonefield Parish Primary School. James was the schoolmaster of the nearby Stonefield Parish School and was renting this house from the Education Authority of the Council of Lanark for the sum of £25 per annum.
On 1st June 1928, Mr. James Aitchison, according to local news reports was being considered for transfer to Whifflet Primary School in Coatbridge. However, this did not come to pass, and James was stll the headmaster at Blantyre in 1930, living in the same schoolhouse at Victoria Street.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017