Continuing a look at the written memoirs and research by Flora Dickson Potter of Auchentibber. Sadly now deceased, she wrote this written account, a copy of which has now found its way to Blantyre Project.
“Continued notes on ‘The Place‘ – Auchentibber was part of the Barony of Blantyre , possessed by Lord Blantyre, but by 1773 the proprietors of this part of the Barony was Thomas Peters of Crossbasket, who was granted the lands with horses, yards, parts, pedicles and pertinents of the whole foresaid lands, all lying within the Parish of Blantyre. The valued rent of the property was £65 a substantial sum in 1773.
A James Young (farmer) is shown as the occupier of Auchentibber in 1868 and John Hay farmed there in 1878. Messrs Colin Dunlop and Company of the Tollcross Iron Works are shown on a list of “farmers” in 1898 but their interest is likely to have been in the Auchentibber minerals and not its crops.
Robert Dickson was the farmer at Broomhouse while in 1909 Alexander Irvine was working Stewartfield Farm. A number of lime kilns were scattered around. William & Son had a cement works at Calderside in 1878, while John Dickson was in business as a lime merchant in 1894. From the 1840’s ironstone from Auchentibber was being carted into Glasgow for William Dixon and Company and it was fed into their furnaces which were known as ‘Dixon’s Blazes.’
From the book, “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c)