An alarming fire broke out on Saturday 26th February 1927 in buildings at Clark Street, Low Blantyre.
The properties were owned and occupied by Patrick Murray, a coal merchant. Patrick was also a dealer in second hand furniture. When the fire brigade arrived, the buildings were well alight, but the firemen quickly got the flames extinguished. The roofs of the buildings were completely burned and the stock was greatly damaged by water.
The fire was supposed to have originated in the hay loft above the stables. Two horses were rescued by the heroic efforts of five young men.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016