Mr James Young was a postmaster of Blantyre from 1923 until 1928. It was reported in July 1928 that throughout the Blantyre community there was a feeling of regret at the Postal Services decision to transfer James from Blantyre to Bridge of Weir.
For 5 years, James Young had been a popular postmaster at the Stonefield Road post office, which at that time was the principal post office in Blantyre, that particular office dealing with the inlet and outlet of all written mail. Mr Young was given plenty of notice and took up his new duties at Bridge of Weir on 1st March 1929.
His time at the post office was remembered fondly by people prior to the Second World War for his friendliness and efficiency. James and his wife had come to Blantyre in 1923 and managed to endear themselves to the Blantyre public. The kindly manner they attended to their duties in the office brought around many friends and people wanting to be their friend. It is perhaps that very same high standard of customer service that resulted in James being promoted to a larger, busier office. The story is a good reminder of how people would move much more readily to be close to employment, than perhaps the commuting that goes on much more today.
Pictured here scanned in the highest resolution I could, and taken in 1916 during the middle of the first World War, is Low Blantyre General Post Office. Until 1969 all Post Offices in the UK had the official title General Post Office (GPO). This important building was located at the bottom of Stonefield Road. Standing in the doorway are Blantyre postmistresses Miss Stewart and her assistant Marian Kilgour. In the right hand windows are pamplets and booklets (presumably about the war and current services). In the left hand side is the famous poster of Lord Kitchener appealing for “More men – God save the King”.
From “Blantyre Explained” book by Paul Veverka (c) 2016 all rights reserved.