Mr. Robert. C McCallum was the first warden/curator of the Livingstone National Memorial (The David Livingstone Centre) working there during the latter part of 1929, from before the centre opened in October and throughout the 1930’s.
He was a member of the South Dalziel Church, Motherwell, a Motherwell man at heart who once lived at 89 North Lodge. Along with the YMCA, he had organised fundraising flag days in Motherwell during 1929, to assist with funding the renovation of Shuttle Row. He was involved with the masons in Motherwell and it was announced in April 1929 that he was to be appointed in June 1929, to warden for the new Centre ahead of its opening.
However, he actively started in the role in mid April 1929, and gave up his hobby as a Sunday school teacher in order to devote time to the new museum. It was felt by many that the Trustees of the Livingstone Memorial had made a great choice.The layout of the grounds was largely down to Robert, where his liking and skills for gardening, allowed for choosing the best locations for plants and attractions. In Motherwell his own garden won prizes including the Lady Hamilton flag. It is very apparent from images of the Rose Gardens at the Livingstone Centre, what influence Robert must have had on making the whole place beautiful for visitors.