This photo was taken in the early 1950’s at the back of Little’s Building, a tenement on Stonefield Road, at Larkfield. Pictured are brothers William (Bill) and Alex Duncan.
During the 1950’s the Duncan family lived next door to the Robertson family (who may have had previous family connections back to the name of the adjacent building) The factors of this building in the 1950’s were the Little’s, most probably the trustees of the late Jimmy Little, formerly of Crossbasket. By the 1950’s the building was known as Little’s Building. In one part of this 2-storey building in the 1950’s there were 5 families, three on the ground floor who were the Duncans, Robertsons and Ramsays, and two on the first floor, the Savages and Fergie McDougall who lived on his own. The ground floor residents shared an outside toilet, the upper floor residents in the flats, shared an internal toilet upstairs.
Little’s Building was situated at Larkfield, and was situated adjacent to the larger 4 storey Robertson’s Laun building. Made of stone, Little’s Building was constructed sometime between 1899 and 1909. It was demolished in the 1960s.
Thanks to Bill for sharing this photo, which shows him and brother Alex standing next to the outside toilet at the back of the tenement.