A couple of nice photos showing how things have changed at Crossbasket. These photo were taken at the rear of Crossbasket Castle around 2005, by Blantyre man Alex Rochead. One shows the wooden footbridge spanning the river calder, now demolished by the new owners for safety reasons. The other photo shows the larger waterfall at the back of the Castle, which in this photo still has the old grey render on it.
In 1891, when George Neilston acquired Crossbasket, there were four wooden footbridges crossing the River Calder, 2 of them leading to woodland trails in the woods to the North of the house. Today, none remain. A circular path ran around the entire estate, with thick woodland adjacent to the General’s Bridge and along the boundary wall with Stoneymeadow Road.