Robert Stewart recently shared this family photograph which features himself taken in August 1959 when he was 9 years old. (The photo was only about 1″ X 1 1/2″ but Robert managed to scan it quite successfully.)
Pictured in August 1959, is a small residential building site at 289 Glasgow Road which is the rebuilding of “Stonefield Cottage”. The location is immediately next to the Old Original Bar which is just out the picture to the left. The old cottage, also called Stonefield Cottage which existed from 1820, was demolished at the Glasgow Fair weekend that same year. The rebuilt cottage still exists today as a small bungalow, beside Mayberry Grange flats.
The building to the left is still there today, as is the co-op on the right. Back then those buildings houses Norris Grocery, living in the flats above were the Robertson’s on the left, Mrs (Robert’s Granny) Clements on the right and in the shadow, the door to the shared outside toilet. The low building in the centre was Tommy the Cobbler’s shop with another two flats above.