Between 1931 and 1935, Blantyre’s railway bridges were replaced by contractors William Arroll. The existing iron bridges were demolished and removed and new iron bridges of a stronger design, installed. The first bridge to be completed was the railway bridge crossing over Glasgow Road.
Pictured here in September 1931 are William Arroll managers out inspecting the completed bridge. Trams had recently stopped running along Glasgow Road below this bridge, which may have been the point contractors were waiting for, before proceeding. To put this bridge in context, the houses on the right are still there today at Springwells, sitting on an elevated position. To the left of the men, would be LIDL and Farmfoods today. The bridge, one of 2 railway bridges at this location formed part of Auchenraith Railway Junction.