Station Road in 1910 is the subject of this next photo. Beautifully colourised and shared here courtesy of Jim Cochrane.
To the right are the fields that were eventually to become the Low Blantyre Public Park. The train station is just around the corner in the distance out of sight. The houses on the left are still there today, but the smaller bungalows have since had upstairs conversions and upper windows added.
You may not recognise things too much, as the road on the left leading into modern Park Lane, hasn’t been built yet in this photo. Park Lane eventually led off where the railings are in the foreground.
Station Road had only recently been upgraded. The throughfare we know as Station Road, from Glasgow Road down to the Station and beyond to The Village works, was described in 1900 as nothing more than a quagmire. A person related that whilst running for a train on the ‘road”, his foot stuck in the mud and whilst trying to release it, his other foot stuck until the “stick was so complete” that the train went away without him. During 1904 after the intervention of John P Jackson of Bardykes, it was later described as “the present road is so hard that one can bound along it like a golfball.” The modern scene from the same viewpoint is below.