Pictured in the engraving is that old High Blantyre Church, the predecessor of the current High Blantyre Parish Church. The date is 1793 when the Church was built and it was sited in the middle of the old Kirkton Graveyard itself.
This was also the Church that David Livingstone was baptized in. The Church fell into disrepair very quickly, especially in a few harsh Winters in the 1820′s. By 1860 it was in a deplorable condition and unsatisfactory for anybody coming to worship.
By 1863, the new Parish Church had been built, the one that currently exists.