During 1895, one Thursday evening, an explosion took place in the Livingstone Memorial Church, Glasgow Road, Blantyre. The minister Rev Mr Hugh and the church officer Mr Ewing, being injured. Both men were in the heating chamber which is in the basement to the rear of the building, for the purpose of examining the heating apparatus, which seemed not to be working satisfactorily.
Suddenly an explosion occurred and the apartment was filled with smoke and burning material from the furnace. Mr Hugh was seriously burned about the face, whilst Ewing escaped with slight injuries. The interior of the apparatus was wrecked.