The majestic mills in Low Blantyre weren’t the only mills in the town. There were at least half a dozen smaller mills dotted around the Parish. Most are easily located, but there is one that is now elusive thanks to the growth of the Calder claiming it back.
Dyewood Mill or Dyesholm Bridge Mill was situated on the west bank of the Calder adjacent to the Pattenholm Ford directly below the first old Cottage Hospital (now Barnhill Inn) on Bardykes Road with its name taken from the nearby Dyesholm field. No buildings are now visible but it is shown on General Roy’s Military map of 1747 and the OS 25″ map of 1864.
The properties, fields and mill were entwined together. Dyesholm cottage was clearly the “home of the dyer” (if that’s the right term for somebody who worked in that mill!), Dyewood mill, either referring to the trees surrounding the mill, or the process itself. The bridge and field also linked to the manufacturing process. The area was famed for dye processing of wood. One of the most widely used sources of colouring clothes in those days, was logwood or dyewood. The mill would be involved in chipping, rasping and grinding dyestuffs, besides providing liquor for colours to manufacturers of fancy woolen and cotton articles. The distribution of Dyestuff mills was closely related to that of their customers. In all, there were probably no more than twenty-five such mills in Scotland between 1730 and 1830. [John Shaw “Water Power in Scotland” 1550 – 1870].
The Blantyre Project has sourcing the current location of this mill on our “to do” list.